Friday 7 September 2012

The Longest Week Ever

As my title explains, this was the longest week ever. The root: first week of school.

Monday: I spent most of my day with my dead computer and running around with Martine.

Tuesday: "First day of scholl." I arrived at school at 11am and went to the cafiteria where everyone in my grade was there. The Director (Principal) gave a traditional back to school speech, then proceeded to call out every name for every class.When it came to my name the Director stopped, asked me to raise my hand, then said to wait for him because he was going to talk to me and another student. Joy... I didn't know what he was going to say. the best situation, in my head, is that he would introduce me to the class, the worst thingthat ran through my head is that there was a problem with my course or something like that. of course the negative situation was the louder of the two voices in my head but I kept telling myself that I don't know what's going to happen and it will all be for the best. The Director told me that they were going to look at class sizes and put me and the other student into a better french class. Ok, all is well in my head, and for us to check in at an office in the morning to tell us what class we are in for french. So the other student and I had to wait outside until 12 then go home.

Wednesday: the first day of classes. At 8:10 I go to the office, knock on the door and wait... and wait... and wait. Teachers we coming up to me and asking what I wanted, I explained what the director said, and then they would tell me to wait and so I waited... this happened repeatedly for about 45 mins. Then a teacher who had talked to me when I first arrived, noticed that I was still waiting, she then walks up to me and says that she will go tell someooe that I am waiting there. After just a bout an hour of waiting in an empty school yard next to an office door, a teacher comes out and says, "I forgot all about you." I was on the verge of tears because I was so stressed. After a few more minutes I was taken by a teacher to my class I thought it a professional program called Familky Aide, where I would be learning Nursing, and nutrition, and psychology, but they didn't tell me that they switched my program ( I thought they would only change out class) This was one tough day. I did not understand about 98% of what anyone said, or even what class I was sitting in. By the end of the day (12), I wanted to go home, cry, eat chocolate, and sleep. I wasn't able to do this because I had made plans to go to Liege and meet up with a bunch of exchange students. It was a fun and relaxing afternoon, which was well needed.

Thursday: School started bright and early at 8:20, I went to all my classes and just followed the teacher and class mates trying to talk to people. My plan for a better day was to listen, smile and anychance that I got to talk I WOULD. Thursday was a lot like Wednesday I understood next to nothing. I spent most of my time with a flemmish girl who is in my class ( one point for possitive things!) I just smiled and fried my brains trying to understand want everyone was saying.
Come 3:20, i was happy to leave. I walked briskly to the bus stop to go home, when the bus arrived I tryed to get in. Now this may seem easy enough to do, you just step in right? Wrong. I have never seen a bus this full before!! My Flemmish friend Dorothé said that it's always this full and to just push my way in. I seriously pushed my way in and I barely fit!! But I did not have a choice because I didn't know when the next bus was coming. I' ve never been so scared on a bus. I now feel like being on a toronto bus would be a breeze.
I got home talked with my host mom about school, talked with my aunt, and talked to my mom about my computer; My computer's funeral will be this saterday at 2.
Best thing happened Thursday night and I was in desperite need for some good news. I now have a dress for the Cramignon!!
Then SLEEP.

Friday: I did not have to go to school because my class has like a co-op thing going on, and so I was excused from scholl by the director. So I slept in until 9:30, had a long shower, had breakfast and talk with my host mom about school.
School here has not been easy because everyone in my class has been in the same class for a few years and they are all closely knit ( it doesn't help that there are only 8 people in my class) So after a long conversation on deciding what to do about school; to wait, change schools, or classes, or grade, even go as far as going to school in Liege...? We came to the conclusion that on Monday Martine and I will go to the Director and talk things through to see what is possible. The hardest part of the decission for me is I don't know where the line is to say that I need to wait and try harder, or that I need to change something.

All that I know is that I have been feeling sick to my stomach from stress which does not normally happen and that I am not looking for to going back to class.

However will all this stress there will be some releif this weekend because I' participating in my first Cramignon and whearing a blue "cinderella" dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment