Friday 7 December 2012

St. Nicolas

I have discovered on many occasions now that explanations can't prepare you for everything.
I was told to have change in my pocket for protection from people who potentially will be throwing flour, eggs, and other such cooking supplies.
OK???
So how this was explained to me was that the students who graduated the previous year were going to be wondering around the village were I go to school with empty beer mugs in hand and if I didn't want them to throw flour at me I would have to put a coin in their mug. This was explained to me a week prior to St. Nicolas.
Come Monday morning I had completely forgotten about it... until I was trying to get off the bus and THREE!!! people in whit lab coats were blocking the door from the side walk. I PANICKED! I jumped and ran around the corner hoping the through the flood of people that they did not get me. I was safe! (by some miracle) I then pulled out my wallet and took out all of my small coins and kept it in my hand( because I was soo scared...)
Then I thought about Yurina (a Rotary student from Japan), what if SHE DOESN'T KNOW or worse...SHE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND (it's worse because then the people who explained it believes that she knows to do, but really she just lived by the exchange basic language training: Smile and Wave) So I ran to her once she got off the bus and gave her a hand full of coins and said, "pay the people in the white coats, trust me."
After dodging attacks all day I am happy to report that I came home all clean. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment